Friday, September 19, 2008

my new hobby & kpixie

Yep...it's official, I've developed a new obsession.

Knitting.

That's right, knitting. It started with my love of scarves. Between Shaker Woods and Etsy, I've purchased about five scarves or cowls over the past two months (all handmade of course). Sad to say, I do realize that buying five scarfs during the summer may be a sign of a shopping addiction but hey...shopping addiction is surely less offensive than a few other addictions that come to mind.

Anyhow, I started to think that instead of buying a bunch of scarves I should just learn how to make them. So I did. My first project, which will be completed over this weekend, is a green cowl that matches my bright green peacoat. It's a little messy but overall not too shabby for a first project. I'm looking forward to learning some new stitches soon. Right now I can cast on, knit, and purl. Binding off coming soon!

kpixie has some great examples of the style of knitting I enjoy. Keep in mind, my knitting skills have not reached this level yet. I also attached a photo of a cowl type scarf. I absolutely love love love these! I think they're the new hot item for this upcoming fall and winter.
I think the reason why I've taken such a liking to knitting is just the simple fact that to me, it is so amazing to hold something in your hands and know that some talented person put their mind, hands, and heart into making it. It's a beautiful thing.




2 comments:

ksturd said...

knitting? seriously?

Dear Violet said...

seriously. would you like me to make you something? right now i can make a scarf or a scarf. pick one.