Sunday, November 16, 2008

Wonderland by Tim Burton

November's Vogue had a story on the actress Mia Wasikowska (pictured above) and that’s how I heard about Tim Burton's upcoming film of the classic Lewis Carroll fairy tale, Alice in Wonderland. Burton's version will be in 3-D and is scheduled for release in 2010. Rumor has it that Johnny Depp will play the Mad Hatter. Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter will also make appearances as the White and Red Queens. The final product will be a mix of live action and motion-capture animation. Between this and the Where the Wild Things Are movie there should be much to look forward to on the big screen.

Burton says of the book:
“The stories are like drugs for children, you know? The imagery, they've never quite nailed making it compelling as a full story. So I think it's an interesting challenge to direct."

It concerns me a bit because Mia Wasikowska seems too old for this role. Alice was just a child in the book. I guess I can overlook it as long as there is no singing! Sweeney Todd was ok and all but a musical version of this would kill it for me. I do have to admit this Pretty Women song made me want to gag:



barf. Although my friend did reenact this for me after the movie and that was much more amusing than the real version.

No comments: