Thursday, December 4, 2008

Everything is Illuminated

I just finished reading Everything is Illuminated tonight. I LOVE this book. I saw the movie and thought it was ok. The movie doesn't even touch the book. No comparison.

I find myself strangely interested the holocaust. It's like I'm trying to wrap my mind around it and I can't even go there. There's something about the dark side of human nature that is so fascinating and terrifying to me at the same time. In the grand scheme of things, the holocaust didn't happen that long ago and that fact alone scares the living shit out of me. I just don't understand how people become so full of hatred? And on top of that, how do survivors recover from things like this and go on living a so-called normal life?


2 comments:

janko said...

the movie is pretty good for representing what a place looks like visually. remind me of my childhood in ukraine.

Dear Violet said...

I will say, I was working on invitations while watching the movie so I did a half-ass job of paying attention. I think I'm gonna watch it again one of these days. Usually, I prefer watching the movie after reading the book.